Subject: Re: Trouble with "copy" command on WB 3.0?
From: [email-masked] (Per Espen Hagen)
Date: 15 Dec 1993 08:24:22 GMT
Newsgroups: comp.sys.amiga.applications

In article <[email-masked]>, [email-masked] writes:
> 
> I've got a rather strange bug I'm wondering if anybody else has run into.

You bet they have!

> It has to do with the copy command in WB3.0.  Just about every time I use it
> to copy a large file (>130k), it tends to  corrupt the files.  Needless to
> say, this causes a bit of grief with installing things on the hard drive.
> After the installation script has run, I have to go  back and recopy the
> larger files using DirWork, which, of course doesn't use the standard copy
> command. I only noticed this this last week when I finally got a hard drive,
> and started using installation scripts.  Before then, I always used DirWork,
> so I never noticed.

Another FAQ...

The error is not with AmigaDOS, but in the firmware (ROM) of the IDE drive!
Most IDEs only support file writes of less than ~128k.

The workaround for this bug is to change the MaxTransfer value of each
partition of the disk to 0x1fe00 (=255x512). This can be done with the
software you used to prep the drive. There's usually an "Advanced Mode"
or an "Advanced Settings Page" where the MaxTransfer setting can be
modified. If you do it right, you will not have to reformat or re-install
your HD.

-- 
Per Espen Hagen       [email-masked]     Tel: +47 63807653     //
Senior Scientist    Image Processing Group      NDRE, Norway     \X/

Any resemblance between the above views and the views of my employer,
     myself, or the view out of my window, is non-deterministic.